America

America
Salt Wells, Wyoming Mustang Mare

Monday, February 20, 2012

The Florida PaRally Part 1

The Florida PaRally took place this past Friday, Saturday, and Sunday at Gothe Trail Head Ranch and it was an amazing and fun weekend. I went Friday sans horse so I could just be a volunteer, checking people in, helping to organize, and anything else that might be needed. I ended up having to leave earlier than I'd wanted to because, as I went to put something in my truck, I noticed one of my tires had low pressure. I had to leave so I could get my tire fixed since I was planning on hauling my horse on Saturday. I also had to finish packing my trailer and get my gear together. I wanted to be prepared so that if America did well, we could stay overnight.

Saturday morning I got up early and wanted to be on the road by 7:00 a.m. so I loaded America up while it was still dark out. We'd never done this before but thanks to all our positive trailer loading practice, she loaded right up for me and we hit the road and arrived at the ranch just before 8:00 a.m. After getting registered and finding a stall, I unloaded America. She unloaded quietly but did a fair amount of looking around and calling out to other horses. She was a bit unconfident but not frantic (whew!!) and I had to gently remind her I was with her and to pay attention to me.

The first order of business was to introduce America to her stall and it took some time to build her confidence enough for her to go in and stay in. Funny how it's so similar to trailer loading yet she was so hesitant to go in. We did a lot of approach and retreat and I was blessed to have Whitney Van Zyl, a 2* Parelli Professional nearby to coach me through everything. Eventually, America decided it was o.k. to go in and STAY in and was even more o.k. with it when some food appeared for her to eat!! The HUGE bonus to all this, and because I took the time it takes, America was fine with going in and out of her stall for the remainder of the weekend. I even upped the ante a couple of times by backing her in to and out of her stall!! After getting her squared away, I went to park the truck and trailer and get myself organized. Then it was time to go get America for a look around the ranch.

When I got America out of her stall to begin exploring, she did a bunch of looking around and calling to other horses. I decided to gently ask her to move her feet, doing some sideways, some falling leaf, playing with a couple of obstacles just to get her attention and have her focus on me. It took a good hour of this gentle play to help her relax and after about 1-1/2 hours she was able to play stick to me. I took her back to her stall and she went right in, got a drink of water and began eating some hay so I let her stay in her stall while I went to help Jerry S. Williams, 3* Parelli Professional,  with his laser coaching sessions; I had volunteered to help with the sign up and keep things moving along. I'll write a separate post a little later on the laser sessions and some of the other workshops that Karen Woodbury, Annie Shank, and Dancin' Pete Rodda did.

After the laser sessions were done, I went and got America for another look around and to warm up for our lesson with Jerry S. Williams at 2:30 p.m. I wanted to really prepare America as I was hoping we could do a freestyle lesson or at least a little bit of freestyle during our lesson. We played with some really interesting obstacles: milk jugs strung on lines hanging down...kinda like a car wash but with milk jugs instead, a shower curtain hanging (and blowing in the wind...it was a bit breezy Saturday!!), a teeter totter, the paint "cow" in the arena, a pedestal, a bridge, a bit of figure 8, some touch it, and sideways both with and without a fence. These are all things we have done at home with the exception of the "cow" and the teeter totter. I wanted America to do familiar things in a new place to build her confidence.

After our play session, I saddled her up and we went to the round pen for our lesson. Jerry had me begin online with the 7 games including cantering on a circle then had me do several things that would be done during a colt starting to make sure America was o.k. with everything including flapping stirrups, me jumping up and down, etc. She was giving us green lights so Jerry asked if I wanted to/felt confident enough get on and of course I said yes! I had America move over to the fence and mounted from there. I had a bit of an issue with getting my foot in the stirrup and America stood still while I had to fiddle for a minute. I need to twist the fenders and plan on getting started with that tomorrow when I get off work!!

Jerry had me check my lateral flexion and hq disengage to make sure I had brakes and America did really well with the later flexion...nice and soft give on both sides. Hindquarter disengage was acceptable but I want to get it much better and can work on that both on the ground and in the saddle. Next he had me do an indirect rein into a direct rein and we were off!! We went a few strides at the walk and then he had me bend her to a stop and rub, rub, rub until she relaxed. We repeated this sequence several times, each time ending with lots of rubbing until she relaxed and then it was time to get off. When I dismounted America nickered at me!!

I'm so proud of America (and a little bit proud of myself as well). We prepared well and had our second ride in a new place with lots of distractions/activities going on and we were partners in a successful ride!! I couldn't have been more thrilled with how everything went and it was an awesome lesson.

After our lesson, I unsaddled America and took her back to her stall to get some water, hay and take a bit of a rest. She was happy to go in her stall...almost couldn't wait to get in there!! Once she was settled, I went to get a quick bite of lunch and take a bit of a break myself.

After our break, I got America out again and we just did a walk about, spending some undemanding time while she grazed a bit. She was much more relaxed now...not doing so much looking around, calling to other horses only occasionally, had a very soft look to her eye and was blinking. After our walk about, I found a turn out pen and let her have an hour to herself. She immediately laid down and rolled...I'd say she was more relaxed!! She wouldn't have done that when we first arrived...how far we'd come in 8 hours!!

Well, that's enough for this installment...I'll post more tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment