America

America
Salt Wells, Wyoming Mustang Mare

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Day 10 - Trailer Loading 1.9

I know I've skipped a few days but they were mostly repeats of the first 5 days, building America's confidence with being confined in the trailer for varying periods of time, with and without food and with various noises going on outside the trailer. America did really well with everything so I decided it was time to take our first road trip and today was the day to do it.

I hooked the trailer up to the truck and loaded America in the trailer following our familiar routine so she would be comfortable and confident. I headed out slowly at first to let her get her sea legs then we set out down our bumpy dirt road. I was a little concerned when America began calling to the other horses as we left and Li"Bert"y got a little concerned as he'd never been away from America since I brought him home at 7 months of age. My husband said he ran around calling for a couple of minutes then settled down and didn't start again until he heard the trailer coming back home.

America called out to several horses as we passed their pastures on our trip. I guess she was mildly concerned but not wide eyed or pacing around the trailer. We went around the neighborhood, out on the blacktop road, over the RR tracks, to the gas station, where there were trucks and cars, to turn around, and then back home. In all, it was about a 20" trip and America handled it well.
When we pulled in the driveway, Li"Bert"y called to her and she called back. I pulled all the way in and parked then went to check America to see what she was doing. My idea was to leave her in the trailer until she was calm and relaxed, then let her out. Imagine my suprise when I looked in on her and found her eating hay from the feeder!! She was totally relaxed so I opened the door to the trailer and she was in no hurry to leave. I went in to halter her and I had to ask her out of the trailer!! Once outside the trailer, America turned around to go right back in to finish her hay!!

I couldn't be happier with our progress and I feel like we're ready for our trip off the farm for our two hour lesson with Jerry Williams on January 14th. I do think we'll take a couple more "road trips" before the big day though, just to make sure today wasn't a fluke!!

No comments:

Post a Comment