America

America
Salt Wells, Wyoming Mustang Mare

Friday, December 23, 2011

Day 5 - Trailer Loading 1.4

My wonderful friend, Jae, came over today to play with my ponies and give me her objective observations. She also gave me some new arrows to use in my play sessions with America and Li"Bert"y. I so appreciate her help and honest assessments!

We started with America and trailer loading. I asked America out of the pasture and into the trailer and she was all too happy to head in there. Once she was in the trailer eating her hay, I started moving trailer parts, tapping on the trailer, and closing the door. After evaluating what we were doing and how America was being so confident, Jae suggested going ahead and closing the trailer door and fastening it. America was just fine with this and ended up spending more than 45" in the trailer eating her hay, then watching us while we played with Bert. When I finally went to get her out of the trailer and opened the door, I asked her to wait while I haltered her. I half expected her to want to hurry out of the trailer but she exited calmly and quietly. I couldn't be more pleased with her progress. I'm thinking I'll be taking America on her first road trip around the block in the next couple of days.

We played a bit of the 7 games while Jae watched and gave me some great pointers on how to be more particular, have a clear focus, and be effective without being critical or insulting my horse. My old nemesis is rearing it's head again...I don't have a clear focus and plan on what I'm asking for. I'm wondering how many more times I need to hear this before it will sink in!!

A couple of interesting things happened when we were playing the 7 games. One was no suprise...America yields her hq much easier than her fq...that fits with her being a LB horse. The other suprise came on the circling game going to the left. My plan was for 4 circles at the trot and America did 2 then decided to stop. I sent her again and she pitched a little tantrum by taking off impulsively then kicking up her heels and squealing and farting, although she did stay on the circle and not pull away. She went about a lap and stopped. I resent her and this time she went the 4 laps at a trot without a tantrum and had a nice bring back with a good expression on her face. I do need to pay attention though...going to the left she stays out on the circle; however, to the right she wants to spiral in too close to me.

Jae gave me a handy exercise to play with to teach America to move out of my space and I love the name "Ice Cream Cone". I don't know who was more confused trying to learn the exercise, me or America. I definitely need to practice this one!!

I'm looking forward to spending more time with America and advancing our relationship. I think we're going to be having lots of fun together!!

No comments:

Post a Comment