America

America
Salt Wells, Wyoming Mustang Mare

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Day 15 - Trailer Loading 1.14

Upping the trailer loading game was the theme for play this afternoon. I put America on the 22' line and sent her to the trailer from 15' then 20'...she went in both times with no hesitation! Next up was some squeeze game inside the trailer. I haven't tied her in the trailer yet and I haven't put her in a stall and set the divider. Tonight I decided to just move the divider to squeeze her a bit. The first couple of times she got a little nervous and at one point she felt the need to get out of the trailer. I let her come out but sent her right back in and resumed our squeeze with the divider using plenty of approach and retreat. After about 15", America was allowing me to touch her with the divider, staying calm through the whole process and even getting curious enough to investigate the divider by smelling and tasting it! That was plenty good enough for me so we quit and I asked her out of the trailer.

We played outside the trailer for a while; sideways, yo-yo, and circling game. She's doing well with the yo-yo...we're playing with using energy to drive and draw her. Occasionally I need to reinforce but for the most part she responds to my energy...now to just speed it up a bit. The circling game was fun...America was doing upward transitions with just a lift and lead...rarely had to pick up my stick. To the left was better than to the right...to the right she got a bit confused on the send and tried to back up but I just stayed with her until she went out to the right. It took three tries but she got it and got plenty of scratches as a reward. Lots of licking and chewing on that one!!

America is an amazing mare, tries so hard to please and puts effort into her offerings. She is such a pleasure to play with!

No comments:

Post a Comment