America

America
Salt Wells, Wyoming Mustang Mare

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Lesson Day!!

We had our first lesson today and wow...it was awesome!! Trailer loading and the ride all went well and we arrived at Holistic Horsemanship Center early because everything went so smoothly. It was nice to have a little extra time to just explore and let America check out her surroundings before beginning our lesson.

We started out online and Jerry S. Williams had us go through the 7 games so he could assess where we are and where we need to go. We have a good beginning and are definitely "safe" but need to work on our partnership and connection, especially in new or unfamiliar places or situations. America was being obedient/compliant but not particularly connected with me during the 7 games. Jerry gave me several good strategies to build our relationship and connection. One of those strategies is playing the catching game so we went to the round pen for a liberty session.

Our liberty session was amazing. It took a little time but eventually America began to connect to me, having an ear on me then an eye and finally looking for me. Once we had a connection going, we stopped to reward the connection and America was content to hang out with us as we chatted at the rail. After a few minutes she began to lick, chew, and yawn, coming off the adrenaline and really relaxing. She yawned quite a lot and it went on for quite a while. Once she finished, she was happy to hang with us for a few more minutes then she left for the other side of the round pen, closer to the horses in the field across the street. I set about playing the catching game with her again and it was very easy to get her connected to me again.

All too soon, it was time to leave. Loading her into the trailer was a breeze...I had her on the 22' line and I loaded her from about 15' away. I just pointed to the trailer and she loaded herself then stood quietly while I closed the door. The ride home was uneventful (except for all the thoughts running through my head lol!!). When we arrived home, America unloaded beautifully...slow and calm...a perfect end to a perfect day.

I can't say it enough...I LOVE MY MARE!! She AWESOME!!

No comments:

Post a Comment