America

America
Salt Wells, Wyoming Mustang Mare

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Successes!!!

America and I went to a friends house to play today making this our second trip off the farm. America loaded right up this morning; I was standing about 18' from the trailer, I pointed and America went right in with just a point of my finger. The trip to my friends house was uneventful and when we arrived, I left America in the trailer for a few minutes while I got ready to unload her. Leaving her in the trailer is also part of a strategy I have to avoid teaching her that she has to get off the trailer as soon as we arrive or as soon as the door opens. It works great and even when I open the door, she waits until I invite her off the trailer; there is no rushing out!

America was mildly RB after I unloaded her; there were two new horses and a whole new world to explore. We began by walking around and checking things out; we even played some touch it with the ATV, the boat, and my friends horse trailer. By doing this, I was able to get America to focus on me instead of everything else.

Terri has lots of obstacles and we took full advantage of them. America was quite concerned about the tarp tied between two trees, especially when the wind blew it. We played the squeeze game near the tarp until she could walk by it relaxed then we went on to something else. We played touch it with some logs that are set up for a weave and America got this pretty quickly. She ended up putting her foot on a couple of them and her nose on a couple of others. We played with the tire pedestal and America had no problem with this even though it was her first time. I sent her to it and she started investigating it, put her foot on it, pawed it a bit, then put both front feet on it. I let her stand there for a few minutes to lick and chew.

Next up was two tires half buried in the ground to make a squeeze. I thought this would be challenging but America walked right through it in both directions, smelling the tires on the way through. We went from there to doing a figure 8 with two cones. This is our second time doing this pattern and America did great. The draw of her right eye is a bit challenging...she is unconfident on that side.After three reps, I got a good draw on that side and quit on that good note. We also played with trailer loading into my friends trailer. It's quite different from my stock trailer which is open. This trailer is more closed in and the door is narrower. America felt the difference in the squeeze game going in and the farthest she got in was with her back feet at the rubber bumper. I was fine with that...it's not about the trailer; it's about building her confidence one step at a time!

At this point we went back to revisit the tarp that had bothered America. We played squeeze games again with lots of changes of direction and after 7 changes in each direction, America stepped up to the tarp and began to investigate it, smelling it, tasting it, then relaxing very close to it. She did even get upset when the wind blew and the tarp went above her head. She just looked up and when it came down she smelled and tasted it again! This was a perfect place to quit since some other friends showed up. It was lunch time and we had all planned on having lunch together. While we stood and chatted for a few minutes, America stood near me and after about 10" she began to yawn, blow, and really relax. I waited until she was finished, gave her some good rubs and scratches then put her in a pen with her hay while we ate lunch. She was perfectly happy and content, munching her hay, very relaxed and confident in her surroundings.

After we ate lunch and watched a DVD on exercises for horses, it was time to go home. I went out and America greeted me at the gate, I entered, said hello, haltered her and we went together to the trailer. When I asked her to go in, she went with just a point. Ah...relationship still intact!!

When I made the decision to change partners from Renegade to America, I felt bad initially, feeling like I failed or was quitting on Renegade. Now after playing with America for the past several weeks, I know I made the right decision. Not that I didn't have fun with Renegade, because I did, I'm having, REALLY having, fun with America. It's such a pleasure working with a horse that's so willing to please and that tries so hard for me, even when she's unsure or unconfident. My hope is  America will take me through L3 and L4, allowing me to learn so much more that I will then be able to offer Renegade. Renegade has been an awesome teacher and I think America also has much to teach me. I also think Renegade is enjoying his semi-vacation; he's been meeting me at the gate, and (I know we're not supposed to anthropomorphise) seems more interested in interacting with me and seems more affectionate. He's even willingly allowing me to caress his head and chin...something he's not been willing to allow previously.

No comments:

Post a Comment